Friday, June 6, 2008

What's Next?

:heavy sigh: Today was the end of another chapter of my life. I just arrived home from my last day of work for now. Now, I'm officially unemployed. It's the first time, since I had a paper route when I was twelve, that I have become unemployed where it was not my own choice. I've changed jobs before and even stayed home for a bit while my daughter was young and I was in school full time but this is the first time that I will actually be filing the papers to receive unemployment compensation from the government. The district that I worked for decided that supporting teachers and staff in their use of technology is no longer a priority so my job has been eliminated.

So, tomorrow morning, at approximately 7am, my family will leave for our annual trip to the beach. I will take this time to do some reflecting about what the next chapter in my life might look like. Right now, I just don't have a clue what might be in store for my future. I do know that I disagree with the administration of the school district and that teachers and students DO need supported and encouraged in their use of technology in the classroom and I hope to find some way to help accomplish that goal. The problem is, that it's not only the district that I worked for that feels this way. It's a popular trend in the area/state when our unconstitutional school funding system is so broken that schools must cut back to the absolute bear minimum in staffing and equipment. Commonly, that means only keeping teachers who don't need computers - they can just lecture to a class of about 40+ students.

Ok, self pity party OVER! On to the beach to spend time with my fabulous family and regroup. Perhaps, you'll see some introspective posts next week or perhaps not!

No comments: